Well, haven't posted in a bit because compared to my travels and such, things have pretty much calmed down. Right now I am still sort of waiting for classes to start as well as get a Tanzanian roommate which should happen this week.
Classes were initially delayed from the 15th of September to the 29th, but no classes in the Faculty of Art and Social Sciences, where I am, started that week. This week I attended one class where only foriegn students showed up (Tanzanians still all really haven't moved in and know that classes still aren't too official) but the proffesor did outline the course a bit. This morning I showed up to a class where a lot of Tanzanians did too but no professor. This will be the way of things for at least another week, maybe more. Remember, their semester starts now and goes through the end of January with only two days off for Christmas, so there isn't quite the rush right now that there would be in the States.
Right now I am planning to take for my major International Relations (after a international law class was cancelled yesterday - schedule's always changing) and for fun African Cinema, Writing for Stage, Screen and Radio and African Civilizations. I also hope to sit in on Intermediate Swahili. Our Faculty has the timetable (master schedule for classes) online as well as online registration which is nice and does not happen in all departments. I don't plan on registering until next week however -we'll see how I like my classes first! The thing is the first meeting or so of the class the professor sees who has scheduling conflicts (this may be a problem for the professor himself or herself!) and then the schedules get totally switched around anyways. It is an interesting system, with its definite pluses and minuses.
But eventually here I'm sure that we'll get started on the academic year... But that is not the main reason I'm here anyways (or I might as well just be taking classes back at PLU) so I'm not too worried. Until then I am reading a lot of novels other people in our group brought, doing some writing and taking walks to get fresh vegetables in Survey, about 20 minutes from the school. Weather is still hot but life's still good! I'll write again once I get settled into some sort of academic routine so I can actually write about classes and such.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment